Despite the glut of hip hop subgenres emerging from the Chicago area in recent years, Vi is ready to break barriers with what he calls “hustler music.” The Windy City lyricist, who possesses a strikingly atypical stage name, was given his alias by the late Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes of TLC fame. Break U Off, a smooth, Cali-playeristic track courtesy of producers Brian Warfield and 1500, fuses a light, airy flute with a classic bass line; its like nothing we’ve ever heard before from a Chi City spitter. Vi’s debut album, Supposed to Be, is due out later this year.
Written by Erica L. on 06/9/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So Chi" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.