Spitting dope rhymes is a skill that takes many long, arduous hours of practice but, once you’ve learned the art, nothing beats the feeling you got when you “open up [your] mouth and let the words flow.” Well, OK, as a man of sub-par mic skills I can only assume that to be the case. For a better-informed opinion, we turn to Booth newcomer Versis, who explains just how great it is to bust out a dope rhyme whenever he feels The Need on his latest single. A lightly-jazzy, sampled instrumental by the aptly (if redundantly) named Beat Maker Beat serves as springboard for the Pasadena native’s’ agile, self-assured bars. If his M.O. wasn’t readily apparent from his retro-informed rhyme style, he makes his lineage explicit on the middle verse. “A bronze medal boy with a Golden Era vibe, like INI, De La [crossed with] Village and the Tribe” Those are – lemme pull out my calculator…– 34 very large shoes to fill. Has this up-and-comer got what it takes to follow in their footsteps? Those leaning towards the affirmative can find plenty more where this came from on Versis’ iLLCANDESCENT, out now.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.