Spitting dope rhymes is a skill that takes many long, arduous hours of practice but, once you’ve learned the art, nothing beats the feeling you got when you “open up [your] mouth and let the words flow.” Well, OK, as a man of sub-par mic skills I can only assume that to be the case. For a better-informed opinion, we turn to Booth newcomer Versis, who explains just how great it is to bust out a dope rhyme whenever he feels The Need on his latest single. A lightly-jazzy, sampled instrumental by the aptly (if redundantly) named Beat Maker Beat serves as springboard for the Pasadena native’s’ agile, self-assured bars. If his M.O. wasn’t readily apparent from his retro-informed rhyme style, he makes his lineage explicit on the middle verse. “A bronze medal boy with a Golden Era vibe, like INI, De La [crossed with] Village and the Tribe” Those are – lemme pull out my calculator…– 34 very large shoes to fill. Has this up-and-comer got what it takes to follow in their footsteps? Those leaning towards the affirmative can find plenty more where this came from on Versis’ iLLCANDESCENT, out now.
Written by richard on 05/24/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.