Unable to Watch this Youtube Video? Click here to play in Soundcloud instead.
The lead single off Usher‘s forthcoming seventh album sported something of a deceptive title; whereas most expected Climax to be about, well, climaxing, the record was more of a denouement, depicting the artist coming to terms with the fact that he and the woman he loved were drifting apart. By contrast, follow-up selection Scream, despite sounding much less like a bedroom burner, is actually about orgasms. Thematically, the record is a lot like Yeah! with an emphasis on the screaming rather than what’s being screamed (and sans guest features). The sound, however, is quite a bit different; in keeping with current audiences’ appetites for balls-to-the-wall club bangers, Max Martin goes for broke on the production tip, crafting a pounding, four-on-the-floor instrumental that builds to an explosive, synth-drenched chorus. Needless to say, Terry Raymond IV takes to the track like a fish to water, exhibiting characteristic confidence and sex appeal as he schemes about how to get an alluring female clubgoer into bed. Is Scream a worthy follow-up to the Booth-approved lead effort? Debate away—Looking for Myself is out now via RCA Records.
Written by richard on 06/13/12
In retrospect it was stupid of me to think that Usher had someone lost his grip on the modern R&B throne, even for a moment. Yes, it’s true that Here I Stand was the weakest effort of his career. That album showed that the...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Icebox (Remix) ft. Usher & Fabolous" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)