When it comes to Lil Freak, the latest leak from the immortal Usher, I could talk about a lot of things. I could mention that the production, a slowly bumping, sonically steaming beat from Usher’s hit making partner Polow da Don, is absolutely hypnotic. Or I could say that after his more mature album Here I Stand sold anemically, Usher’s apparently decided to return to his XXX ways, although it’s a little disappointing to hear him hit up the auto-tune on the chorus, even if it’s light. But let’s be honest, what everyone’s really going to be talking about is the openly lesbian verse from the always controversial Nicki Minaj, who expresses her love for women with big booties and makes the first of what will assuredly be many attempts to get Cassie to leave Diddy for her. I’m looking forward to hearing how radio’s going to censor this one. Lil Freak isn’t officially part of the Usher’s upcoming Raymond vs. Raymond album, but I have a feeling it will make the final cut.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Icebox (Remix) ft. Usher & Fabolous" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.