Usher seems to be enjoying playing with listener expectations in the lead-up to his seventh studio album; lead single Climax was a poignant breakup jam, whereas club-ready follow-up Scream actually involved, ya’know, climaxing. And the just-released Lemme See? Just as you’d expect, this sultry jam finds the R&B heavyweight narrating his annual visit to his optometrist. Nah, just kidding—like a good 70% of his other singles, the record depicts Terry Raymond IV out on the prowl, pondering what he’s going to do when he gets a certain female clubgoer into his bedroom. Over Jim Jonsin‘s sultry, slow-burning synth grooves, he soulfully feigns indecisiveness (“Hey girl, I’m debating if I should take you home…”) before announcing his conclusion with a sexy flourish: “I decided to take my shirt off / and show my chest.” Rick Ross showcases his inimitable brand of pillow talk on the back, notably spitting the inexplicable line, “Chanel hoodie on, looking like Trayvon Martin / George Zimmerman don’t want it.” Inadvisable references to current events aside, however, this catchy cut should leave pop-lovers even more amped for Usher’s Looking 4 Myself LP, out now via RCA.
Written by richard on 06/15/12
In retrospect it was stupid of me to think that Usher had someone lost his grip on the modern R&B throne, even for a moment. Yes, it’s true that Here I Stand was the weakest effort of his career. That album showed that the...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Icebox (Remix) ft. Usher & Fabolous" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.