Usher seems to be enjoying playing with listener expectations in the lead-up to his seventh studio album; lead single Climax was a poignant breakup jam, whereas club-ready follow-up Scream actually involved, ya’know, climaxing. And the just-released Lemme See? Just as you’d expect, this sultry jam finds the R&B heavyweight narrating his annual visit to his optometrist. Nah, just kidding—like a good 70% of his other singles, the record depicts Terry Raymond IV out on the prowl, pondering what he’s going to do when he gets a certain female clubgoer into his bedroom. Over Jim Jonsin‘s sultry, slow-burning synth grooves, he soulfully feigns indecisiveness (“Hey girl, I’m debating if I should take you home…”) before announcing his conclusion with a sexy flourish: “I decided to take my shirt off / and show my chest.” Rick Ross showcases his inimitable brand of pillow talk on the back, notably spitting the inexplicable line, “Chanel hoodie on, looking like Trayvon Martin / George Zimmerman don’t want it.” Inadvisable references to current events aside, however, this catchy cut should leave pop-lovers even more amped for Usher’s Looking 4 Myself LP, out now via RCA.
Written by richard on 06/15/12
In retrospect it was stupid of me to think that Usher had someone lost his grip on the modern R&B throne, even for a moment. Yes, it’s true that Here I Stand was the weakest effort of his career. That album showed that the...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Icebox (Remix) ft. Usher & Fabolous" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.