Usher seems to be enjoying playing with listener expectations in the lead-up to his seventh studio album; lead single Climax was a poignant breakup jam, whereas club-ready follow-up Scream actually involved, ya’know, climaxing. And the just-released Lemme See? Just as you’d expect, this sultry jam finds the R&B heavyweight narrating his annual visit to his optometrist. Nah, just kidding—like a good 70% of his other singles, the record depicts Terry Raymond IV out on the prowl, pondering what he’s going to do when he gets a certain female clubgoer into his bedroom. Over Jim Jonsin‘s sultry, slow-burning synth grooves, he soulfully feigns indecisiveness (“Hey girl, I’m debating if I should take you home…”) before announcing his conclusion with a sexy flourish: “I decided to take my shirt off / and show my chest.” Rick Ross showcases his inimitable brand of pillow talk on the back, notably spitting the inexplicable line, “Chanel hoodie on, looking like Trayvon Martin / George Zimmerman don’t want it.” Inadvisable references to current events aside, however, this catchy cut should leave pop-lovers even more amped for Usher’s Looking 4 Myself LP, out now via RCA.
Written by richard on 06/15/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Icebox (Remix) ft. Usher & Fabolous" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.