Whether or not you believe in Evolution (and frankly, how could you not?), please at least pretend that you subscribe to the theory while reading my explanation of the latest effort from Uptown XO. If that famous illustration of the ape slowly rising up and transforming into a human were used to represent the current state of hip-hop, I’d say the genre was stuck somewhere in the middle. Thankfully, artists like XO are evolving the game into a full-fledged human being. On Evolution, the DMV native and Mello Music Group signee blesses a brisk, sampled beat from AB The Pro. Atop said instrumental, AB shows that he’s much more than just a producer, stepping out from behind the boards to showcase his quick, yet laid-back confident flow in between the headliner’s opening and closing 16s. Accompanied by some stylish, black-and-white visuals, this cut can be found on the Diamond District member’s Colour de Grey LP, which is available for streaming and purchase via The DJBooth.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/8/13
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No Love" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.