Whether or not you believe in Evolution (and frankly, how could you not?), please at least pretend that you subscribe to the theory while reading my explanation of the latest effort from Uptown XO. If that famous illustration of the ape slowly rising up and transforming into a human were used to represent the current state of hip-hop, I’d say the genre was stuck somewhere in the middle. Thankfully, artists like XO are evolving the game into a full-fledged human being. On Evolution, the DMV native and Mello Music Group signee blesses a brisk, sampled beat from AB The Pro. Atop said instrumental, AB shows that he’s much more than just a producer, stepping out from behind the boards to showcase his quick, yet laid-back confident flow in between the headliner’s opening and closing 16s. Accompanied by some stylish, black-and-white visuals, this cut can be found on the Diamond District member’s Colour de Grey LP, which is available for streaming and purchase via The DJBooth.
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No Love" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.