Now that Cali duo The Seed have released two street albums in the Booth (BREAKINGROUND, The Seed LP), I think it’s safe to say that Kahlee and Uptown Swuite have hit the big-time—from here, it’s all a downhill slope covered with champagne and caviar. With beautiful women waiting at the bottom. OK, I may be exaggerating slightly. Point is, in the midst of this success, Swuite hasn’t forgotten where he came from—making its world premiere on our frontpage, the emcee’s solo Booth debut finds him still repping Southside Vacaville to the fullest. Over DJ Flow‘s leisurely bassline and breezy brass (Help me out, people—where have I heard this sample before?), the artist takes a long, hard look at the streets where he spent his formative years. Seeing his ‘hood plagued with unemployment, insufficient school funding and punitive law enforcement, he resolves to continue “fightin’ for my homies who never gon’ see the outside, strivin’ for my young’uns to give ‘em a better life.” As fresh and funky as its message is admirable, Southside is just one of many dope cuts set for inclusion on Church St. Blues, which has yet to receive a solid drop date—keep it locked for further details!
Written by richard on 05/31/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ain't Seen Me Since" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.