Located at 229 Jackson St. in San Jose, California, clothing retailer Cukui takes its name from the Hawaiian word for “candlenut”—a symbol of enlightenment, protection and peace. Making its world premire right here on our front page, new mixtape leak Cukui (Forever) finds West Coast rhymesayer Uptown Swuite paying tribute to his favorite local shop and everything it embodies. Over Four Five‘s dreamy, horn-laced sample work, the Vacaville repper gushes about the brand’s fresh yet retro stylings: “New cats on the block, representin’ for the true school / Fitted like what you thought dipped out for the new school.” On the back, The Seed partner-in-rhyme Kahlee emphasizes the love soaked into every stitch of Cukui clothing, spitting, “Far from an average brand, it’s a culture in its own / And every piece you wrap around you is a piece of they soul.” Feeling like booking a flight to San Jose and checking out their selection? Then the record’s done its job. Whether or not you can swing a vacation right now, though, you won’t want to miss Swuite’s Booth-sponsored Beneath the Lights tape when it hits our front page February 2.
Written by richard on 01/25/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ain't Seen Me Since" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.