Here’s a fun fact for y’all: before Michael Sembello’s Maniac became the theme to Flashdance, the song was about a serial killer. That’s right; inspired by a horror film of the same title (“Maniac,” not “Flashdance”) the record boasted the unspeakably bad chorus: “He’s a maniac, maniac that’s for sure. / He will kill your cat and nail him to the door.” No kidding. Anyway, R&B hopeful (and Booth newcomer) Unique splits the difference on his loose reinterpretation of the ‘80s staple, a promo single dedicated to a girl he loves despite the fact that she’s absolutely nuts. Ty Deals and Jon Jon Traxx handle production duties, serving up a rock-infused beat as the singer fills listeners in on his romantic troubles, lamenting the fact that he’s fallen for an obsessive, over-possessive, verbally-abusive lunatic. Catchy melody? Check. Sadly relatable theme? Double-check. Looks like the Brooklyn native may have a hit on his hands – that is, if he survives the woman in question’s wrath upon hearing the song (I suggest hiding the kitchen knives, dude). Keep your fingers crossed, and your browsers locked to the Booth for all the latest.
Written by richard on 01/13/11
Submit your Rating
Star Power Media/ Impact Records
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.