As a former – OK, recovering – video game addict, I can hardly express the disappointment I felt upon hitting “play” on R&B singer Ray Lavender‘s ‘07 cut Donkey Kong, only to find that it had nothing to do with the Nintendo arcade classic. And the same thing happened years later, when Aleon Craft stepped into the Booth with his booty-centric version of Donkey Kong. So, have U-N-I finally created the Donkey Kong song of my dreams with this newly-released joint? Not exactly… but, what the hell, I’ll take it! The latest leak off the Cali duo’s forthcoming street release, this left-of-center banger makes up for its lack of princess-stealing gorillas and mallet-wielding plumbers with some authentic eight-bit boardwork (courtesy of Dibia$e), not to mention the characteristically brainy braggadocio of Thurzday and Y-O: “Gorilla strength rapper n*ggas exiting timidly, readily / Outbreak, affect the world with no remedy.” Will U-N-I be punching their initials into the DJBooth high-score board for this one? That, of course, is for you to decide. If you’re digging it, you can expect more dopeness on the duo’s Kings Keep Marching mixtape, due out Feb 15.
Written by richard on 01/16/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beautiful Day" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.