As a former – OK, recovering – video game addict, I can hardly express the disappointment I felt upon hitting “play” on R&B singer Ray Lavender‘s ‘07 cut Donkey Kong, only to find that it had nothing to do with the Nintendo arcade classic. And the same thing happened years later, when Aleon Craft stepped into the Booth with his booty-centric version of Donkey Kong. So, have U-N-I finally created the Donkey Kong song of my dreams with this newly-released joint? Not exactly… but, what the hell, I’ll take it! The latest leak off the Cali duo’s forthcoming street release, this left-of-center banger makes up for its lack of princess-stealing gorillas and mallet-wielding plumbers with some authentic eight-bit boardwork (courtesy of Dibia$e), not to mention the characteristically brainy braggadocio of Thurzday and Y-O: “Gorilla strength rapper n*ggas exiting timidly, readily / Outbreak, affect the world with no remedy.” Will U-N-I be punching their initials into the DJBooth high-score board for this one? That, of course, is for you to decide. If you’re digging it, you can expect more dopeness on the duo’s Kings Keep Marching mixtape, due out Feb 15.
Written by richard on 01/16/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beautiful Day" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.