As a former – OK, recovering – video game addict, I can hardly express the disappointment I felt upon hitting “play” on R&B singer Ray Lavender‘s ‘07 cut Donkey Kong, only to find that it had nothing to do with the Nintendo arcade classic. And the same thing happened years later, when Aleon Craft stepped into the Booth with his booty-centric version of Donkey Kong. So, have U-N-I finally created the Donkey Kong song of my dreams with this newly-released joint? Not exactly… but, what the hell, I’ll take it! The latest leak off the Cali duo’s forthcoming street release, this left-of-center banger makes up for its lack of princess-stealing gorillas and mallet-wielding plumbers with some authentic eight-bit boardwork (courtesy of Dibia$e), not to mention the characteristically brainy braggadocio of Thurzday and Y-O: “Gorilla strength rapper n*ggas exiting timidly, readily / Outbreak, affect the world with no remedy.” Will U-N-I be punching their initials into the DJBooth high-score board for this one? That, of course, is for you to decide. If you’re digging it, you can expect more dopeness on the duo’s Kings Keep Marching mixtape, due out Feb 15.
Written by richard on 01/16/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beautiful Day" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.