Bill Withers must make a killing on royalties. No Sunshine, the newest track from New York artist Uncle Murda, is just the latest rap song of dozens to sample his work, borrowing large portions of the chorus from Ain’t No Sunshine. Maybe DMX didn’t put it to rest after all. As can be expected, Murda’s version is another anti-authority hood anthem, relying on defensive accusations and Obama plugs to get his thug credibility across. Hitmaker Akon plays Withers’s part on the hook, bemoaning the lack of figurative sunlight in his neighborhood. Producer Green Lantern borrows some of the chord changes from the original, but for the most part keeps it fresh with a lively drum beat and some loud hits. There is no official word yet on Murda’s Def Jam debut.
Written by Charlie E. on 08/24/08
Submit your Rating
Gettin' Money Gangstaz
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Life Is A Movie (Remix) ft. Various" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.