Bill Withers must make a killing on royalties. No Sunshine, the newest track from New York artist Uncle Murda, is just the latest rap song of dozens to sample his work, borrowing large portions of the chorus from Ain’t No Sunshine. Maybe DMX didn’t put it to rest after all. As can be expected, Murda’s version is another anti-authority hood anthem, relying on defensive accusations and Obama plugs to get his thug credibility across. Hitmaker Akon plays Withers’s part on the hook, bemoaning the lack of figurative sunlight in his neighborhood. Producer Green Lantern borrows some of the chord changes from the original, but for the most part keeps it fresh with a lively drum beat and some loud hits. There is no official word yet on Murda’s Def Jam debut.
Written by Charlie E. on 08/24/08
Submit your Rating
Gettin' Money Gangstaz
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Life Is A Movie (Remix) ft. Various" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.