Bill Withers must make a killing on royalties. No Sunshine, the newest track from New York artist Uncle Murda, is just the latest rap song of dozens to sample his work, borrowing large portions of the chorus from Ain’t No Sunshine. Maybe DMX didn’t put it to rest after all. As can be expected, Murda’s version is another anti-authority hood anthem, relying on defensive accusations and Obama plugs to get his thug credibility across. Hitmaker Akon plays Withers’s part on the hook, bemoaning the lack of figurative sunlight in his neighborhood. Producer Green Lantern borrows some of the chord changes from the original, but for the most part keeps it fresh with a lively drum beat and some loud hits. There is no official word yet on Murda’s Def Jam debut.
Written by Charlie E. on 08/24/08
Submit your Rating
Gettin' Money Gangstaz
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Life Is A Movie (Remix) ft. Various" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.