Looks like U-N-I share more than a penchant for mysterious-sounding piano samples (see Fried Chicken and Watermelon cut K.R.E.A.M) with the Wu-Tang Clan; on this new promo single, the Los Angeles twosome reveal their fondness for chess (and chess-related metaphors) as they detail their arduous journey to The Land of the Kings. Ro Blvd‘s driving, piano-and-electric guitar instrumental is more pop than the mellow, jazzy boardwork we’ve heard on many of the twosome’s previous features, but it’s still got loads of left-of center style, and a spectacularly catchy hook to boot. The dense, poetically allusive verses in which Thurzday and Y.O. detail their sky-high ambitions offer plenty of quotables—the former’s ‘when pigs fly/swine flu’ line is my personal favorite (I’ve been waiting for a rapper to make that pun since news of the epidemic first broke). Though U-N-I are already shining brighter than most, there’s no question their future will be even sunnier. If you’re a fan, you can grab a free copy of the duo’s debut studio album at their official site—but be sure to slip on your shades first.
Listen to More: U-N-I
Written by richard on 05/20/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beautiful Day" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.