Though Drake‘s Weezy-featuring Ransom took the throne as our listeners’ pick for 2008’s Best Hip-Hop Song (Unsigned/Underground), SoCal duo U-N-I won over DJBooth staff with the lyrically-driven Beautiful Day. Now, Thurzday and Y-O Return to the Booth with their first feature of ‘09, a mixtape cut that finds them teaming up with conscious rap superstar Talib Kweli. With a music-box intro that quickly melts into a sea of hazy synths, Lee Bannon‘s narcotic beat sets the stage for a freeform lyrical feast. Talib’s verse on the back end brings some extra energy to this spacey cut, and will likely be seen as Return‘s high point, but the chilled-out confidence Y-O and Thurzday bring to the table can’t be overlooked. For more of U-N-I’s low-key, old-school sounds, listeners can download their brand new, Mick Boogie-presented Before There Was Love mixtape here. Fans should check back with us in late February, when the duo step into the Booth for an exclusive interview with our own DJ Z.
Written by richard on 01/28/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beautiful Day" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.