Though Drake‘s Weezy-featuring Ransom took the throne as our listeners’ pick for 2008’s Best Hip-Hop Song (Unsigned/Underground), SoCal duo U-N-I won over DJBooth staff with the lyrically-driven Beautiful Day. Now, Thurzday and Y-O Return to the Booth with their first feature of ‘09, a mixtape cut that finds them teaming up with conscious rap superstar Talib Kweli. With a music-box intro that quickly melts into a sea of hazy synths, Lee Bannon‘s narcotic beat sets the stage for a freeform lyrical feast. Talib’s verse on the back end brings some extra energy to this spacey cut, and will likely be seen as Return‘s high point, but the chilled-out confidence Y-O and Thurzday bring to the table can’t be overlooked. For more of U-N-I’s low-key, old-school sounds, listeners can download their brand new, Mick Boogie-presented Before There Was Love mixtape here. Fans should check back with us in late February, when the duo step into the Booth for an exclusive interview with our own DJ Z.
Written by richard on 01/28/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beautiful Day" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.