If you are a film buff, you surely know of the famous scene in Spartacus in which the title character’s brethren protect him by each belting out the famous line, “I am Spartacus.” While it might have worked for him, the same strategy wouldn’t be effective for this Booth newcomer; after listening to this cut, it’s clear that Tyrone Briggs is one of a kind. Briggs displays gladiator-like strength on the mic, employing a raw, relentless flow that, while definitely heavy-handed, is also lighting-quick. His delivery sounds all the more powerful over Sean Nathaniel’s symphonic production. Although it is centered around a fluid string arrangement, the beat still packs a serious punch. Spartacus is the latest song release off Briggs’ #ScatteredThoughts EP, due out in October.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Tyrone Briggs’ Beezy Black-directed Spartacus visual.
Written by Lucas G. on 09/20/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- How a Music Video Is Made: A Mock Treatment With Rapsody
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.