Is it possible to make the pop audience swoon with your lead single, then come back with a follow-up that’ll knock harder-core heads’ socks off? Normally, I’d argue against trying to be all things to all people, but Tyga just might have pulled it off. Though the newly-released Really Raw finds the young emcee once again hooking up with Skateboard P and Chad Hugo, that’s where the similarities to First Time end. In contrast to that joint’s steamy R&B vibes, this cut finds the Neptunes serving up a slick, bass-driven groove meticulously-crafted for maximum noddability. The Cash Money signee comes with self-assured rhymes to match, voicing his love of iPad porno and name-dropping obscure 1978 Jaws ripoff Piranha (yeah, I didn’t know that movie existed either). Fellow Compton representatives Snoop Dogg and Game lace the cut’s latter two-thirds with some whip/weed-crazy bars of their own, and Pharrell steps out from behind the boards to lend his vocals to the hook. Think Really Raw lives up to its title? Then stay tuned to you-know-where for the latest on Tyga’s Careless World LP, set to drop sometime this spring.
Written by richard on 02/3/11
Submit your Rating
Last Kings Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Coconut Juice ft. Travis McCoy" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)