A 2006 single by Uffie, a Paris-residing hipster-rapper who has almost certainly never fired a gun in her life, the original Pop the Glock falls somewhere between candy cigarettes and Easy Cheese on the authenticity scale. Against all odds, however, Booth newcomers Slangston Hughes, Concise and K. Words have managed to transform that mindless, but party-ready hit into some True 2 Life Music on their latest buzz single—a Booth-exclusive world premiere. On this Pop the Glock, the Brooklyn crew build an ominously driving, breakbeat-led groove around Uffie’s robotic vocals, and proceed to lace their creation with aggressively-flowed reflections on the reality of gun violence: “They popped another one of our brothers like acne / There’s no neighborhood watch on a black street.” Where others would preach against gun violence, True 2 Life stay in a moral gray area, describing the atmosphere of hair-trigger paranoia that makes life in the ‘hood a constant gamble. Has this hard-hitting piece of hip-hop reportage left your interest piqued? More fresh, one-hundred-percent real cuts await on True 2 Life Music’s DJBooth-sponsored Every Dream Has a Price LP, set to hit our mixtape page April 4, for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 03/21/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Poppin' On TV" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.