The True 2 Life Music crew might hail from Brooklyn, but their sound knows no region. Their latest effort, Dopefiend Willie (a Booth-exclusive world premiere), has a sound that might make you think the crew resides in L.A., not N.Y. The group takes it back with a swinging, West Coast beat driven by a piercing percussion rhythm; it’ll have you feeling like it’s ‘92. Atop the in-house produced beat, True 2 Life Music emcees Concise, K.Words and Slangston Hughes deliver edgy, street-oriented bars that would bring a tear to Pac’s eye. The cut isn’t all heavy; the smoother-than-silk, breezy hook is a nice change of pace in comparison to the gritty verses. Dopefiend Willie will be part of the trio’s forthcoming, DJBooth-hosted Black Gods Never Die LP, set to drop August 27.
Written by Lucas G. on 08/20/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Poppin' On TV" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.