Though the line separating hip-hop and R&B has been blurred so much in recent years that it’s actually more of a gray smudge, rappers metamorphosing into singers has been considerably more common than the other way around; aside from Tyrese and his Alter-Ego, Black-Ty, I’m having trouble coming up with notable examples of the latter. Here to buck this trend is Trey Songz, who’s preparing to showcase both sides of his skillset on a pair of forthcoming mixtapes. Whoever Else, the latest release off the rap half of the release, find Trigga trying his hand at braggadocio rhymes. With A-Wall the Producer‘s syncopated percussion and swirling synths as his backdrop, Songz touches upon all the obligatory topics—his paper chase, his sexual prowess, his disregard for the competition, etc. Since Trey seems to think he can go toe-to-toe with the pros (“Lyrical murder, spit a verse and you should duck and dive / I ain’t a rapper, so to rappers it’s such a surprise.”), the question must be posed: does he pass muster as an emcee? Debate away—or withhold judgment till #Lemmeholdatbeat drops (along with R&B mixtape Anticipation 2) on Nov. 1.
Written by richard on 09/27/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life ft. Trey Songz" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.