As Alicia Keys, Lyfe Jennings, and Cassidy can tell you, the most opportune time for an artist to switch up his or her style is before their junior album. Following in their footsteps is singer Trey Songz, who has likewise gone through a recent image renovation that includes the shaving off of his signature cornrows (his new look is not pictured to your left, but will be seen in a photo/video shoot later this week) for his upcoming third album, Ready. When it comes to his musical style, however, Trey knows better than to fix what isn’t broken; on the first official single, he gives away his number (stop the Mike Jones comparisons) in hopes a lady will put it In Ya Phone. Providing the production are Troy Taylor and E. Miles’, whose work sounds like a combination of Jermaine Dupri and DJ Toomp. In a nutshell, Trey Songz once again hits the bullseye with In Ya Phone; a fact which will soon enough be reflected on the charts.
Written by Burmy on 09/2/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.