An attention-grabbing title often makes the difference between a smash hit and a flop, and Trey Songz’ new single (the fourth off Ready), I Invented Sex, is about as cannily-named as it gets. Think about it: the word “sex” is always a big draw, and the claim itself is so outrageous that you can’t help but listen – I mean, if the singer really did pioneer the act of intercourse, what the heck were Mr. and Mrs. Songz doing when they conceived him? The mind boggles. As it turns out, the truth is not quite as interesting as the title implies (Songz simply makes love as if he’d invented sex), but that doesn’t detract from the record’s hit potential. Backed by the synth-fortified slow-jam boardwork of Los Da Mystero, Songz delivers soulful, steamy verses sure to please his devotees. It’s reader favorite Drake‘s Best I Ever Had-esque closing bars, however, that will likely be the biggest contributor to the cut’s success in the Booth and beyond. With a high-caliber guest feature and a radio-ready sound, this single should be just the thing to boost the already-substantial sales of Songz’ third album, available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 10/5/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.