Nausea, sweating, anxiety, palpitations, shortness of breath—all symptoms that a myocardial infarction can share with acute romantic despair. Trey Songz knows exactly what I’m talking about; on the latest single off his sixth studio album, the R&B heavyweight struggles with grief so severe that he’s not sure whether he’s experiencing heartbreak or a full-blown Heart Attack. Benny Blanco and Rico Love go for broke on the production tip, blending 8-bit synths and a downbeat rhythm section into a pop-appealing beat that nonetheless drips with emotion. Trey turns in a vocal performance to match, exhibiting genuine anguish as he narrates the slow decay of a relationship: “All the times I know I should be smiling, seem to be the times when I smile the most / Can’t believe that we’re still survivin’ / ‘Cause I’m slowly breakin’ down even when I hold you close.” Feeling this cathartic banger? You can download the record now via iTunes, or wait till summer and pick it up as part of the artist’s forthcoming Chapter V LP.
Written by richard on 05/7/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life ft. Trey Songz" (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.