Nausea, sweating, anxiety, palpitations, shortness of breath—all symptoms that a myocardial infarction can share with acute romantic despair. Trey Songz knows exactly what I’m talking about; on the latest single off his sixth studio album, the R&B heavyweight struggles with grief so severe that he’s not sure whether he’s experiencing heartbreak or a full-blown Heart Attack. Benny Blanco and Rico Love go for broke on the production tip, blending 8-bit synths and a downbeat rhythm section into a pop-appealing beat that nonetheless drips with emotion. Trey turns in a vocal performance to match, exhibiting genuine anguish as he narrates the slow decay of a relationship: “All the times I know I should be smiling, seem to be the times when I smile the most / Can’t believe that we’re still survivin’ / ‘Cause I’m slowly breakin’ down even when I hold you close.” Feeling this cathartic banger? You can download the record now via iTunes, or wait till summer and pick it up as part of the artist’s forthcoming Chapter V LP.
Written by richard on 05/7/12
He’d never admit it, but some part of Trey Songz had to see Usher’s latest album, Lookin 4 Myself, go number one and silently curse. At this point only Usher Raymond is standing in Trey’s way in his quest to claim the...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life ft. Trey Songz" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.