Nausea, sweating, anxiety, palpitations, shortness of breath—all symptoms that a myocardial infarction can share with acute romantic despair. Trey Songz knows exactly what I’m talking about; on the latest single off his sixth studio album, the R&B heavyweight struggles with grief so severe that he’s not sure whether he’s experiencing heartbreak or a full-blown Heart Attack. Benny Blanco and Rico Love go for broke on the production tip, blending 8-bit synths and a downbeat rhythm section into a pop-appealing beat that nonetheless drips with emotion. Trey turns in a vocal performance to match, exhibiting genuine anguish as he narrates the slow decay of a relationship: “All the times I know I should be smiling, seem to be the times when I smile the most / Can’t believe that we’re still survivin’ / ‘Cause I’m slowly breakin’ down even when I hold you close.” Feeling this cathartic banger? You can download the record now via iTunes, or wait till summer and pick it up as part of the artist’s forthcoming Chapter V LP.
Written by richard on 05/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.