Nausea, sweating, anxiety, palpitations, shortness of breath—all symptoms that a myocardial infarction can share with acute romantic despair. Trey Songz knows exactly what I’m talking about; on the latest single off his sixth studio album, the R&B heavyweight struggles with grief so severe that he’s not sure whether he’s experiencing heartbreak or a full-blown Heart Attack. Benny Blanco and Rico Love go for broke on the production tip, blending 8-bit synths and a downbeat rhythm section into a pop-appealing beat that nonetheless drips with emotion. Trey turns in a vocal performance to match, exhibiting genuine anguish as he narrates the slow decay of a relationship: “All the times I know I should be smiling, seem to be the times when I smile the most / Can’t believe that we’re still survivin’ / ‘Cause I’m slowly breakin’ down even when I hold you close.” Feeling this cathartic banger? You can download the record now via iTunes, or wait till summer and pick it up as part of the artist’s forthcoming Chapter V LP.
Written by richard on 05/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.