Nausea, sweating, anxiety, palpitations, shortness of breath—all symptoms that a myocardial infarction can share with acute romantic despair. Trey Songz knows exactly what I’m talking about; on the latest single off his sixth studio album, the R&B heavyweight struggles with grief so severe that he’s not sure whether he’s experiencing heartbreak or a full-blown Heart Attack. Benny Blanco and Rico Love go for broke on the production tip, blending 8-bit synths and a downbeat rhythm section into a pop-appealing beat that nonetheless drips with emotion. Trey turns in a vocal performance to match, exhibiting genuine anguish as he narrates the slow decay of a relationship: “All the times I know I should be smiling, seem to be the times when I smile the most / Can’t believe that we’re still survivin’ / ‘Cause I’m slowly breakin’ down even when I hold you close.” Feeling this cathartic banger? You can download the record now via iTunes, or wait till summer and pick it up as part of the artist’s forthcoming Chapter V LP.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life ft. Trey Songz" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.