Ah, Internet slang—some (i.e. crotchety English teachers) sincerely believe it’ll be the death of language, but let’s be real: when they were your age, those same teachers were probably confounding their elders with flapper lingo, or, I dunno, Pig-Latin. Same with music: heck, there was a time when jazz was considered “vulgar” by many. On LOL Smiley Face, the latest single off his forthcoming third album, Trey Songz teams up with two fellow whippersnappers to blend hip-hop and IM/text jargon into a head-bobbing pop confection designed to make uptight old folks shake their heads and mutter, “Kids these days…” Over Fisha & Price‘s fingersnap percussion and music-box synths, Songz’, Soulja Boy, and Gucci Mane tell a tale of wired romance, peppering their sung and rapped verses with references to such newfangled gizmos as Twitter, MySpace, and Blackberrys. Complete with a simple yet undeniably catchy Frere Jacques-esque hook, this track will undoubtedly catch on with the teen/pre-teen set—it’ll certainly make a killer ringtone. For more sunny, tech-savvy jams, pick up a copy of Ready when it drops September 1st.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life ft. Trey Songz" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.