Ah, Internet slang—some (i.e. crotchety English teachers) sincerely believe it’ll be the death of language, but let’s be real: when they were your age, those same teachers were probably confounding their elders with flapper lingo, or, I dunno, Pig-Latin. Same with music: heck, there was a time when jazz was considered “vulgar” by many. On LOL Smiley Face, the latest single off his forthcoming third album, Trey Songz teams up with two fellow whippersnappers to blend hip-hop and IM/text jargon into a head-bobbing pop confection designed to make uptight old folks shake their heads and mutter, “Kids these days…” Over Fisha & Price‘s fingersnap percussion and music-box synths, Songz’, Soulja Boy, and Gucci Mane tell a tale of wired romance, peppering their sung and rapped verses with references to such newfangled gizmos as Twitter, MySpace, and Blackberrys. Complete with a simple yet undeniably catchy Frere Jacques-esque hook, this track will undoubtedly catch on with the teen/pre-teen set—it’ll certainly make a killer ringtone. For more sunny, tech-savvy jams, pick up a copy of Ready when it drops September 1st.
Written by richard on 07/19/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life ft. Trey Songz" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.