Ah, Internet slang—some (i.e. crotchety English teachers) sincerely believe it’ll be the death of language, but let’s be real: when they were your age, those same teachers were probably confounding their elders with flapper lingo, or, I dunno, Pig-Latin. Same with music: heck, there was a time when jazz was considered “vulgar” by many. On LOL Smiley Face, the latest single off his forthcoming third album, Trey Songz teams up with two fellow whippersnappers to blend hip-hop and IM/text jargon into a head-bobbing pop confection designed to make uptight old folks shake their heads and mutter, “Kids these days…” Over Fisha & Price‘s fingersnap percussion and music-box synths, Songz’, Soulja Boy, and Gucci Mane tell a tale of wired romance, peppering their sung and rapped verses with references to such newfangled gizmos as Twitter, MySpace, and Blackberrys. Complete with a simple yet undeniably catchy Frere Jacques-esque hook, this track will undoubtedly catch on with the teen/pre-teen set—it’ll certainly make a killer ringtone. For more sunny, tech-savvy jams, pick up a copy of Ready when it drops September 1st.
Written by richard on 07/19/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life ft. Trey Songz" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.