Trey Songz has been scaring me lately. Actually, correction: Atlantic Records has been scaring me lately. It’s been Trey Day every day for the last year and a half, and I had feared that the crooner would be stricken with “T-Pain fate syndrome” - over-saturation and subsequent fan regurgitation. After hearing the heart-churning and ear-pleasing new single Can’t Be Friends, though, I don’t think we have to worry about gagging from having more Songz shoved down our throats (insert Say Aah joke here). Rather, Trey teams up with producer Mario Winans to create a powerful and suffocating stomp-snap, piano demi-ballad that has the sex inventor delivering some of his best vocals to date. Some fans may find themselves turning up their noses at the song’s minimalist production, but sometimes less is much, much more than, especially on a slow jam like this. So, yes, Trey is coming out with a new album. Yes, he appears to have sidestepped the T-Pain fate bullet, and yes, you should be happy. Passion, Pain & Pleasure hits stores September 14.
Written by Matty K on 08/3/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.