Trey Songz has been scaring me lately. Actually, correction: Atlantic Records has been scaring me lately. It’s been Trey Day every day for the last year and a half, and I had feared that the crooner would be stricken with “T-Pain fate syndrome” - over-saturation and subsequent fan regurgitation. After hearing the heart-churning and ear-pleasing new single Can’t Be Friends, though, I don’t think we have to worry about gagging from having more Songz shoved down our throats (insert Say Aah joke here). Rather, Trey teams up with producer Mario Winans to create a powerful and suffocating stomp-snap, piano demi-ballad that has the sex inventor delivering some of his best vocals to date. Some fans may find themselves turning up their noses at the song’s minimalist production, but sometimes less is much, much more than, especially on a slow jam like this. So, yes, Trey is coming out with a new album. Yes, he appears to have sidestepped the T-Pain fate bullet, and yes, you should be happy. Passion, Pain & Pleasure hits stores September 14.
Written by Matty K on 08/3/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life ft. Trey Songz" (2006)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.