Trey Songz has been scaring me lately. Actually, correction: Atlantic Records has been scaring me lately. It’s been Trey Day every day for the last year and a half, and I had feared that the crooner would be stricken with “T-Pain fate syndrome” - over-saturation and subsequent fan regurgitation. After hearing the heart-churning and ear-pleasing new single Can’t Be Friends, though, I don’t think we have to worry about gagging from having more Songz shoved down our throats (insert Say Aah joke here). Rather, Trey teams up with producer Mario Winans to create a powerful and suffocating stomp-snap, piano demi-ballad that has the sex inventor delivering some of his best vocals to date. Some fans may find themselves turning up their noses at the song’s minimalist production, but sometimes less is much, much more than, especially on a slow jam like this. So, yes, Trey is coming out with a new album. Yes, he appears to have sidestepped the T-Pain fate bullet, and yes, you should be happy. Passion, Pain & Pleasure hits stores September 14.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life ft. Trey Songz" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.