Hip-hop’s a ravenous beast. No sooner have fans devoured that new song then they’re looking for the next one. Today’s new artist becomes tomorrow’s old news seemingly overnight. In other words, I got the feeling that rap’s going to go after Travi$ Scott like a shark smelling blood in the water. Making his The DJBooth debut with new release Animal (and thanks to the good folks at IllRoots), the producer and artist kicks things off with an instrumental that’s hard, if not impossible, to categorize. Loaded with distorted synths, trippy string sections and what may or may not be an acoustic guitar line, Animal truly gets its personality from Scott’s straight forward rhymes and impressively hypnotic hook. Short of a Susan Boyle collab, it’s about the last record you’d expect T.I. to get on, but sure enough the Grand Hustle head honcho stops by to lace the track with a typically swaggering verse. I don’t know about you, but you can consider me officially intrigued about the release of Travi$’ upcoming album, Owl Pharoah, which currently has no set release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/12/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)