Hip-hop’s a ravenous beast. No sooner have fans devoured that new song then they’re looking for the next one. Today’s new artist becomes tomorrow’s old news seemingly overnight. In other words, I got the feeling that rap’s going to go after Travi$ Scott like a shark smelling blood in the water. Making his The DJBooth debut with new release Animal (and thanks to the good folks at IllRoots), the producer and artist kicks things off with an instrumental that’s hard, if not impossible, to categorize. Loaded with distorted synths, trippy string sections and what may or may not be an acoustic guitar line, Animal truly gets its personality from Scott’s straight forward rhymes and impressively hypnotic hook. Short of a Susan Boyle collab, it’s about the last record you’d expect T.I. to get on, but sure enough the Grand Hustle head honcho stops by to lace the track with a typically swaggering verse. I don’t know about you, but you can consider me officially intrigued about the release of Travi$’ upcoming album, Owl Pharoah, which currently has no set release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/12/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.