Hip-hop’s a ravenous beast. No sooner have fans devoured that new song then they’re looking for the next one. Today’s new artist becomes tomorrow’s old news seemingly overnight. In other words, I got the feeling that rap’s going to go after Travi$ Scott like a shark smelling blood in the water. Making his The DJBooth debut with new release Animal (and thanks to the good folks at IllRoots), the producer and artist kicks things off with an instrumental that’s hard, if not impossible, to categorize. Loaded with distorted synths, trippy string sections and what may or may not be an acoustic guitar line, Animal truly gets its personality from Scott’s straight forward rhymes and impressively hypnotic hook. Short of a Susan Boyle collab, it’s about the last record you’d expect T.I. to get on, but sure enough the Grand Hustle head honcho stops by to lace the track with a typically swaggering verse. I don’t know about you, but you can consider me officially intrigued about the release of Travi$’ upcoming album, Owl Pharoah, which currently has no set release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/12/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.