Hip-hop’s a ravenous beast. No sooner have fans devoured that new song then they’re looking for the next one. Today’s new artist becomes tomorrow’s old news seemingly overnight. In other words, I got the feeling that rap’s going to go after Travi$ Scott like a shark smelling blood in the water. Making his The DJBooth debut with new release Animal (and thanks to the good folks at IllRoots), the producer and artist kicks things off with an instrumental that’s hard, if not impossible, to categorize. Loaded with distorted synths, trippy string sections and what may or may not be an acoustic guitar line, Animal truly gets its personality from Scott’s straight forward rhymes and impressively hypnotic hook. Short of a Susan Boyle collab, it’s about the last record you’d expect T.I. to get on, but sure enough the Grand Hustle head honcho stops by to lace the track with a typically swaggering verse. I don’t know about you, but you can consider me officially intrigued about the release of Travi$’ upcoming album, Owl Pharoah, which currently has no set release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/12/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.