Hip-hop’s a ravenous beast. No sooner have fans devoured that new song then they’re looking for the next one. Today’s new artist becomes tomorrow’s old news seemingly overnight. In other words, I got the feeling that rap’s going to go after Travi$ Scott like a shark smelling blood in the water. Making his The DJBooth debut with new release Animal (and thanks to the good folks at IllRoots), the producer and artist kicks things off with an instrumental that’s hard, if not impossible, to categorize. Loaded with distorted synths, trippy string sections and what may or may not be an acoustic guitar line, Animal truly gets its personality from Scott’s straight forward rhymes and impressively hypnotic hook. Short of a Susan Boyle collab, it’s about the last record you’d expect T.I. to get on, but sure enough the Grand Hustle head honcho stops by to lace the track with a typically swaggering verse. I don’t know about you, but you can consider me officially intrigued about the release of Travi$’ upcoming album, Owl Pharoah, which currently has no set release date.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.