When the MPC and hip hop met, they fell madly in love and forgot all about real, acoustic drums. Then there was Travis Barker. In his latest leak from his Give the Drummer Some album, dropping March 15, called City of Dreams and featuring Clipse and Kobe, the former drummer for Blink 182 shows us exactly what the beloved MPC can’t do. Backed by a high pitched arpeggio and some acoustically-urban drums by Barker, Pusha welcomes us to a place where “rainbows hues may just lead you to a pot of gold”. Malice then jumps on to help lay down three head-bobbing verses in which Clipse touch on everything from edamame to nipple rings, while singer Kobe contributes a heavy-handed chorus: “Welcome to the city of dreams yeah / where you probably never ever wake up from a nightmare.” Aside from Pusha’s skills (which are definitely showcased here), Travis’s percussion in City is godlike—even though I refuse to believe those tom rolls before the chorus are performed by a human. Overall, everyone did their thing but if I had to call it, I’d say the drummer’s definitely gonna get some after this one.
Written by CourtlandHH on 03/9/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dope Boys ft. Travis Barker" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.