When the MPC and hip hop met, they fell madly in love and forgot all about real, acoustic drums. Then there was Travis Barker. In his latest leak from his Give the Drummer Some album, dropping March 15, called City of Dreams and featuring Clipse and Kobe, the former drummer for Blink 182 shows us exactly what the beloved MPC can’t do. Backed by a high pitched arpeggio and some acoustically-urban drums by Barker, Pusha welcomes us to a place where “rainbows hues may just lead you to a pot of gold”. Malice then jumps on to help lay down three head-bobbing verses in which Clipse touch on everything from edamame to nipple rings, while singer Kobe contributes a heavy-handed chorus: “Welcome to the city of dreams yeah / where you probably never ever wake up from a nightmare.” Aside from Pusha’s skills (which are definitely showcased here), Travis’s percussion in City is godlike—even though I refuse to believe those tom rolls before the chorus are performed by a human. Overall, everyone did their thing but if I had to call it, I’d say the drummer’s definitely gonna get some after this one.
Written by CourtlandHH on 03/9/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dope Boys ft. Travis Barker" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.