“Man, I’m feelin’ so H-Town now, my n*gga. This big-ass, white-ass cup, ya na’mean.” Intros can be deceiving but, in the case of Trae the Truth‘s latest mixtape leak, the opening ad-lib tells you everything you need to know about the record. As you may have surmised, Slammin’ Doorz is a Houston anthem with all the trill trimmings. Platinum Handz delivers a woozy, slow-rolling synth instrumental, complete with the obligatory chopped-n-screwed chorus, as Trae delivers bars dripping with as much local color as the his Benz is with candy paint. Though hailing from Memphis, Young Buck pays proper respect to the H throughout his guest bars: when he’s not waxing poetic about syrup, whips, rims and beautiful
women, the underground vet namedrops everyone from Big Hawk and Big Moe to Rap-A-Lot CEO J. Prince. Whether you live in Trae’s ‘hood or in still-inexplicably-chilly Minneapolis, this joint is the perfect soundtrack for leanin’, swangin’, or simply breaking a few noise ordinances (activities which the Booth, of course, doesn’t [officially] endorse). If you’re digging it, plenty more awaits on the emcee’s Street King mixtape, out June 7.
Written by richard on 05/15/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Tha Hood ft. Yung Joc" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.