“Man, I’m feelin’ so H-Town now, my n*gga. This big-ass, white-ass cup, ya na’mean.” Intros can be deceiving but, in the case of Trae the Truth‘s latest mixtape leak, the opening ad-lib tells you everything you need to know about the record. As you may have surmised, Slammin’ Doorz is a Houston anthem with all the trill trimmings. Platinum Handz delivers a woozy, slow-rolling synth instrumental, complete with the obligatory chopped-n-screwed chorus, as Trae delivers bars dripping with as much local color as the his Benz is with candy paint. Though hailing from Memphis, Young Buck pays proper respect to the H throughout his guest bars: when he’s not waxing poetic about syrup, whips, rims and beautiful
women, the underground vet namedrops everyone from Big Hawk and Big Moe to Rap-A-Lot CEO J. Prince. Whether you live in Trae’s ‘hood or in still-inexplicably-chilly Minneapolis, this joint is the perfect soundtrack for leanin’, swangin’, or simply breaking a few noise ordinances (activities which the Booth, of course, doesn’t [officially] endorse). If you’re digging it, plenty more awaits on the emcee’s Street King mixtape, out June 7.
Written by richard on 05/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Tha Hood ft. Yung Joc" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.