More than a quarter-century after the release of Prince’s seminal Purple Rain soundtrack, I still have no f**king idea What It Sounds Like when doves cry. (I mean, what was he referring to—the backing track? Himself squealing?) I was hoping against hope that the latest single off Torae‘s Booth-hosted album For the Record would finally put this mystey to rest with his latest video single, but I’m sad to say that no light gets shed on this topic. With that said, the record is still a certifiably dope listen, with master beatmaker !llmind serving up a sizzling synth instrumental to back the Coney Island repper as he asserts his dominance of haters, sucker emcees and lames of all stripes. Pav Bundy provides a catchy yet hard-nosed chorus, and video director Todd Angkasuwan completes the picture with some impressive visuals shot on location in Bangkok, Thailand. For the Record is available now for streaming and digital purchase in the Booth, and fans should also be sure to check out the inaugural EP in our exclusive Re-Produced series, based around Torae’s Do the Math, as well as Torae’s newly released EP Off The Record.
Written by richard on 09/26/12
It’s rare that an album arrives without any hype. Before albums are finally leaked legally released hip-hop nation has typically been debating its context for weeks, if not months. Can he actually live up to the hype? Are...
Internal Affairs Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Somethin' To See" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.