Both the rich rewards and the potential pitfalls of the dope game have been covered time and time again in rap records. As long as there are young people Trying to Come Up in the ‘hood, though, the topic will continue to be a crucial one. On his latest alt-single and music video, Too $hort takes a break from his usually, booty-centric subject matter to drop some knowledge on the potential consequences of the street life. Backed by a currently-unknown beatsmith’s understated keys, the Bay Area vet empathizes with the motivations that drive impressionable youths to illicit hustles, but emphasizes that the chance to shine isn’t worth losing years of your life—or all of it—when the po’s start asking question: “I know you wanna come up, make a few mil / but the homies gonna kill you if you tell.” Cool Kids emcee Sir Michael Rocks echoes the headliner on his closing verse, and C.O. ties the record together with a sung hook. If you’re feeling this cautionary banger, plenty more quality tunes await on Too $hort’s No TrespASSing album, available in stores and online as of Feb. 28. Additionally, Sir Michael Rocks is set to appear in the Booth’s own March 17, SXSW showcase. Click here to peep his exclusive “Road to SXSW” interview.
Written by richard on 03/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Lose Ya Head ft. Too Short" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.