Both the rich rewards and the potential pitfalls of the dope game have been covered time and time again in rap records. As long as there are young people Trying to Come Up in the ‘hood, though, the topic will continue to be a crucial one. On his latest alt-single and music video, Too $hort takes a break from his usually, booty-centric subject matter to drop some knowledge on the potential consequences of the street life. Backed by a currently-unknown beatsmith’s understated keys, the Bay Area vet empathizes with the motivations that drive impressionable youths to illicit hustles, but emphasizes that the chance to shine isn’t worth losing years of your life—or all of it—when the po’s start asking question: “I know you wanna come up, make a few mil / but the homies gonna kill you if you tell.” Cool Kids emcee Sir Michael Rocks echoes the headliner on his closing verse, and C.O. ties the record together with a sung hook. If you’re feeling this cautionary banger, plenty more quality tunes await on Too $hort’s No TrespASSing album, available in stores and online as of Feb. 28. Additionally, Sir Michael Rocks is set to appear in the Booth’s own March 17, SXSW showcase. Click here to peep his exclusive “Road to SXSW” interview.
Written by richard on 03/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Lose Ya Head ft. Too Short" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.