For the fourth single from his new Some of My Best Rappers Are Friends mixtape, G.O.O.D. Music crooner Tony Williams attacks being Caught Up alongside guests Kyle Lucas and STS – who coincidentally are also both DJBooth Freestyle alums. Going in over an off-kilter PicnicTyme produced track, the collaboration feels like a direct descendant of the creative process Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse used for their Grammy-winning effort together as Gnarles Barkley. Playing with the perception of tempo, PicnicTyme creates a paradox for both the listener and the artists on Caught Up. Should they be going fast or should they be going slow? The experiment, bolstered by Williams’ soulfully delivered vocals and Lucas and STS’ flowing rhymes, will surely lead to multiple plays as listeners attempt to decode the complexly layered joint. DJBooth readers will likely be divided on whether or not the track worked based on their love of experimentation, but this should be just the track to get fans Caught Up in the release of My Best Rappers Are Friends later today.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/13/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"History ft. Tony Williams" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.