For the fourth single from his new Some of My Best Rappers Are Friends mixtape, G.O.O.D. Music crooner Tony Williams attacks being Caught Up alongside guests Kyle Lucas and STS – who coincidentally are also both DJBooth Freestyle alums. Going in over an off-kilter PicnicTyme produced track, the collaboration feels like a direct descendant of the creative process Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse used for their Grammy-winning effort together as Gnarles Barkley. Playing with the perception of tempo, PicnicTyme creates a paradox for both the listener and the artists on Caught Up. Should they be going fast or should they be going slow? The experiment, bolstered by Williams’ soulfully delivered vocals and Lucas and STS’ flowing rhymes, will surely lead to multiple plays as listeners attempt to decode the complexly layered joint. DJBooth readers will likely be divided on whether or not the track worked based on their love of experimentation, but this should be just the track to get fans Caught Up in the release of My Best Rappers Are Friends later today.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/13/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"History ft. Tony Williams" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.