Hundreds of female R&B/Pop singers are signed every year, but few have the god-given talent to remain relevant for any substantial length of time. Two weeks ago, after a seven-year hiatus, Whitney Houston returned with her sixth solo album; the project landed at #1 on the Billboard Top 200, but the buzz surrounding her release remains lukewarm despite mostly positive reviews. Hoping for a slightly different outcome next February, six-time Grammy Award winner Toni Braxton has returned to the industry after four years away. Last heard from in Sept. 2005, when she released her fifth and final album as a Blackground recording artist, Braxton unleashed her comeback single, Yesterday, this past Friday. Over inspirational boardwork from Good Morning producer DJ Frank E, the Maryland native informs a man she no longer loves that she’s leaving without looking back. Though the track’s lyrical theme is everywhere at the moment (just ask Amerie or LeToya), Braxton’s inner diva shines through, paving the way for her return this winter. The project is currently untitled.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.