Nothing says “low self-esteem” like taking oneself dead-seriously—and on the flipside, when an emcee roars out the starting gate with an opening couplet as ludicrous as the one Tom Hardy spits here (which I won’t quote, since it’s all about the delivery), you know he knows he’s the sh*t. Newly-leaked mixtape track Makin It Last (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!) sees the 9th Wonder protégé serving up two verses of pun-packed braggadocio, exhibiting a love for words—especially funny-sounding ones—that rivals his infatuation with his own skills. Hardy’s bouncy, Andre 3k-esque flows add to the track’s unhinged appeal, and 9th Wonder ties it all together with a soulful, lushly sampled string-brass instrumental. Hardy clearly cracks himself up, and his enthusiasm is infectious; if this track has you hooked, you can find more hot beats and off-the wall wordplay on The Hardy Boy Mystery Mixtape: Curse of Thee Green Faceded (out next week), as well as on Tom Hardy’s Booth-exclusive freestyle, set to hit our frontpage sometime this fall.
Written by richard on 09/10/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Rap Gr8" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.