Riddle me this, Booth readers: what do you get when you let three of Minneapolis’ most legit underground spitters and a national heavyweight go crazy over some gritty, old-school boardwork? You get… well… a really dope record by the name of Trakhouse. Sorry if you were expecting something clever – it’s just that the lineup behind this newly-released promo single pretty much speaks for itself. Here, the funky throwback grooves of Vinny Vendetta set the stage for scorching bars by Twin Cities mainstays Emazin, I Self Devine and Toki Wright (the latter a freestyle series alumnus). Fresh off the release of his Booth-acclaimed Gutter Rainbows LP, Brooklyn vet Talib Kweli joins my esteemed neighbors on verse two, lacing the beat with his reflections on the ineffable power of hip-hop (along with a little well-supported braggadocio). With the amount of lyrical firepower on display, I’m gonna have to leave it to you, the readers, to settle on a standout verse. Whichever brand of freshness you prefer, though, you can keep it locked to DJBooth.net for the latest from each contributor.
Written by richard on 02/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Feeling" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.