One of my home city’s fastest-rising stars, Minneapolis rapper Toki Wright has hooked up with two fellow Twin Cities natives, Brandon Allday and Medium Zach of Big Quarters, for the latest issue of BQDirect, an online service that brings subscribers the latest and greatest in local hip-hop. Wright’s contribution to this month’s five-song set finds the Rhymesayers emcee (and DJBooth.net Freestyle Series participant) filling fans in on just how committed he is to making his musical dreams a reality: “I want this, more than anything that I’ve ever wanted, more than anything that I’ve ever needed… I want This Right Here.” While Wright’s delivery here isn’t as aggressive as on his Booth debut, fans of his hard-hitting brand of punchline lyricism won’t be disappointed; the artist laces Medium Zack’s gritty, old-school boardwork with plenty of allusive quotables. If you’re craving more like This Right Here, you’re in luck – this month’s issue of BQDirect is available for purchase at Big Quarters’ blog, and Toki Wright’s debut album, A Different Mirror, is out now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 01/5/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Feeling" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.