One of my home city’s fastest-rising stars, Minneapolis rapper Toki Wright has hooked up with two fellow Twin Cities natives, Brandon Allday and Medium Zach of Big Quarters, for the latest issue of BQDirect, an online service that brings subscribers the latest and greatest in local hip-hop. Wright’s contribution to this month’s five-song set finds the Rhymesayers emcee (and DJBooth.net Freestyle Series participant) filling fans in on just how committed he is to making his musical dreams a reality: “I want this, more than anything that I’ve ever wanted, more than anything that I’ve ever needed… I want This Right Here.” While Wright’s delivery here isn’t as aggressive as on his Booth debut, fans of his hard-hitting brand of punchline lyricism won’t be disappointed; the artist laces Medium Zack’s gritty, old-school boardwork with plenty of allusive quotables. If you’re craving more like This Right Here, you’re in luck – this month’s issue of BQDirect is available for purchase at Big Quarters’ blog, and Toki Wright’s debut album, A Different Mirror, is out now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 01/5/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Feeling" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.