Is it just me, or have there been some seriously positive, conscious vibes emanating from my city of residence lately? First Dreamer’s Poetry, now Toki Wright‘s latest single… there’s got to be something in the Minneapolis tap water. Like, for example, prescription mood stabilizers and Tylenol. Oh, there is? Sex hormones and caffeine, too? Guess that would explain it. Anyway, this new single off Wright’s forthcoming EP finds him giving a glass-half-full perspective on the struggle to build something Out of Nothing. Over Reggie Reg‘s mellow soul sample, the sometime-Brother Ali hype man adopts a subdued, conversational flow as he encourages those on the bottom to stay on their grind and work to “...get the next generation from out the street.” This optimistic cut and seven more tracks of new material can be found on Wright’s BlackMale EP, a digital project that will be available Feb. 16, for free download, or with a donation in any amount to Haiti’s relief effort. In addition, fans in the Midwest and South will be able to catch Toki touring behind his recently-released debut album, A Different Mirror, from Feb. 19, to March 7.
Listen to More: Toki Wright
Written by richard on 02/10/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Feeling" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.