Is it just me, or have there been some seriously positive, conscious vibes emanating from my city of residence lately? First Dreamer’s Poetry, now Toki Wright‘s latest single… there’s got to be something in the Minneapolis tap water. Like, for example, prescription mood stabilizers and Tylenol. Oh, there is? Sex hormones and caffeine, too? Guess that would explain it. Anyway, this new single off Wright’s forthcoming EP finds him giving a glass-half-full perspective on the struggle to build something Out of Nothing. Over Reggie Reg‘s mellow soul sample, the sometime-Brother Ali hype man adopts a subdued, conversational flow as he encourages those on the bottom to stay on their grind and work to “...get the next generation from out the street.” This optimistic cut and seven more tracks of new material can be found on Wright’s BlackMale EP, a digital project that will be available Feb. 16, for free download, or with a donation in any amount to Haiti’s relief effort. In addition, fans in the Midwest and South will be able to catch Toki touring behind his recently-released debut album, A Different Mirror, from Feb. 19, to March 7.
Written by richard on 02/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Feeling" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.