From previous features Out of Nothing and This Right Here to his exclusive DJBooth Freestyle, DJBooth nation has always held down Minneapolis representative and Rhymesayers signee Toki Wright with high ratings, a trend I have to imagine will continue with his new record Hold Me Down. (See what I did there?) It’s impossible to deny the blaze one to this vibe of producer Reggie Reg’s beat, which somehow manages to be both simultaneously banging and mellow, but regular listeners may feel themselves a little thrown off by Toki’s less politically motivated rhymes than usual (“we twist a couple brews, act a fool when we bustin’ loose”) but don’t worry, this is still the same lyrically astute emcee we all know, even if he is in the mood to party and boast. That topical shift is why Hold Me Down didn’t make it onto Toki’s EP BlackMale, but it will appear on his new, currently untitled mixtape, due to drop in November. In the meantime, demonstrate the degrees of your hold-down-ish-ness right now in the comments below.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/13/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Feeling" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.