From previous features Out of Nothing and This Right Here to his exclusive DJBooth Freestyle, DJBooth nation has always held down Minneapolis representative and Rhymesayers signee Toki Wright with high ratings, a trend I have to imagine will continue with his new record Hold Me Down. (See what I did there?) It’s impossible to deny the blaze one to this vibe of producer Reggie Reg’s beat, which somehow manages to be both simultaneously banging and mellow, but regular listeners may feel themselves a little thrown off by Toki’s less politically motivated rhymes than usual (“we twist a couple brews, act a fool when we bustin’ loose”) but don’t worry, this is still the same lyrically astute emcee we all know, even if he is in the mood to party and boast. That topical shift is why Hold Me Down didn’t make it onto Toki’s EP BlackMale, but it will appear on his new, currently untitled mixtape, due to drop in November. In the meantime, demonstrate the degrees of your hold-down-ish-ness right now in the comments below.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/13/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Feeling" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.