From previous features Out of Nothing and This Right Here to his exclusive DJBooth Freestyle, DJBooth nation has always held down Minneapolis representative and Rhymesayers signee Toki Wright with high ratings, a trend I have to imagine will continue with his new record Hold Me Down. (See what I did there?) It’s impossible to deny the blaze one to this vibe of producer Reggie Reg’s beat, which somehow manages to be both simultaneously banging and mellow, but regular listeners may feel themselves a little thrown off by Toki’s less politically motivated rhymes than usual (“we twist a couple brews, act a fool when we bustin’ loose”) but don’t worry, this is still the same lyrically astute emcee we all know, even if he is in the mood to party and boast. That topical shift is why Hold Me Down didn’t make it onto Toki’s EP BlackMale, but it will appear on his new, currently untitled mixtape, due to drop in November. In the meantime, demonstrate the degrees of your hold-down-ish-ness right now in the comments below.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/13/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Feeling" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.