Best known as Minne-ap mainstay Brother Ali‘s longtime hypeman and opening act, Toki Wright recently stepped into the Rhymesayers Spotlight with the release of his A Different Mirror LP. On newly-released album cut The Feeling, Toki and Ali join forces to let the masses know just how much hard work and dedication it takes to make rap look easy—as the latter states in the cut’s intro, it’s “...a lifetime thing.” Toki’s expressive, amped up flow shines as he blends witty one-liners (“I’m AT&T—more bars in more places!”) and free-association wordplay over his underground-acclaimed musical mentor’s bouncy, brass-sampling instrumental. Brother Ali’s aggressive, brag-heavy middle bars don’t disappoint, but Wright proves more than able to stand on his own two feet, and his consistently-engaging punchline lyricism accounts for many of this track’s most memorable moments. It’s clear that the up-and-comer’s got what it takes to become an underground sensation in his own right, and those digging his unique brand of lyrical bombast are sure to find more to their liking on his debut studio album, out now.
Written by richard on 06/11/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do the Right Thang" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.