Best known as Minne-ap mainstay Brother Ali‘s longtime hypeman and opening act, Toki Wright recently stepped into the Rhymesayers Spotlight with the release of his A Different Mirror LP. On newly-released album cut The Feeling, Toki and Ali join forces to let the masses know just how much hard work and dedication it takes to make rap look easy—as the latter states in the cut’s intro, it’s “...a lifetime thing.” Toki’s expressive, amped up flow shines as he blends witty one-liners (“I’m AT&T—more bars in more places!”) and free-association wordplay over his underground-acclaimed musical mentor’s bouncy, brass-sampling instrumental. Brother Ali’s aggressive, brag-heavy middle bars don’t disappoint, but Wright proves more than able to stand on his own two feet, and his consistently-engaging punchline lyricism accounts for many of this track’s most memorable moments. It’s clear that the up-and-comer’s got what it takes to become an underground sensation in his own right, and those digging his unique brand of lyrical bombast are sure to find more to their liking on his debut studio album, out now.
Written by richard on 06/11/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do the Right Thang" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)