Best known as Minne-ap mainstay Brother Ali‘s longtime hypeman and opening act, Toki Wright recently stepped into the Rhymesayers Spotlight with the release of his A Different Mirror LP. On newly-released album cut The Feeling, Toki and Ali join forces to let the masses know just how much hard work and dedication it takes to make rap look easy—as the latter states in the cut’s intro, it’s “...a lifetime thing.” Toki’s expressive, amped up flow shines as he blends witty one-liners (“I’m AT&T—more bars in more places!”) and free-association wordplay over his underground-acclaimed musical mentor’s bouncy, brass-sampling instrumental. Brother Ali’s aggressive, brag-heavy middle bars don’t disappoint, but Wright proves more than able to stand on his own two feet, and his consistently-engaging punchline lyricism accounts for many of this track’s most memorable moments. It’s clear that the up-and-comer’s got what it takes to become an underground sensation in his own right, and those digging his unique brand of lyrical bombast are sure to find more to their liking on his debut studio album, out now.
Written by richard on 06/11/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do the Right Thang" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.