The previous singles off Toki Wright‘s debut full-length with Big Cats dealt with high-profile subjects of controversy—namely, the battle between science and traditional medicine and the provenance of the Egyptian pyramids. On the newly-released Lonely, the Rhymesayers signee tackles a topic a little closer to home, addressing an ex-girl whose obsessive behavior has him contemplating a restraining order. Booth newcomer Eric Mayson provides a sung hook, and fellow Minneapolis emcee P.O.S. provides additional drum programming to complement Big Cats’ jazzy instrumental backdrop. For more, cop Toki’s Pangaea LP when it drops September 23, via Soul Tools/Rhymesayers Entertainment.
Written by richard on 08/12/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Feeling" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.