The previous singles off Toki Wright‘s debut full-length with Big Cats dealt with high-profile subjects of controversy—namely, the battle between science and traditional medicine and the provenance of the Egyptian pyramids. On the newly-released Lonely, the Rhymesayers signee tackles a topic a little closer to home, addressing an ex-girl whose obsessive behavior has him contemplating a restraining order. Booth newcomer Eric Mayson provides a sung hook, and fellow Minneapolis emcee P.O.S. provides additional drum programming to complement Big Cats’ jazzy instrumental backdrop. For more, cop Toki’s Pangaea LP when it drops September 23, via Soul Tools/Rhymesayers Entertainment.
Written by richard on 08/12/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Feeling" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.