The majority of rappers like to put on a tough persona. Confidence, style, and the ability to intimidate and fill others with fear are the qualities some of the best emcees of all-time lean on. However, no matter how tough, gangsta or popular an emcee might become, they will almost always maintain the ability to create a track for mom and receive no criticism for it. Case in point, up-and-comer Tito Lopez, who offers his addition to the long line of mother tribute tracks with Mama Proud. Produced by Futuristics, the beat features some heavy drums with a nice open high hat hit and a piano riff guaranteed to move your head back and forth. With a sound that may not be radio friendly but showcases hip-hop’s deeper attitudes, Tito just wants his mother to be proud of him, and if she listened to the record she should be. With some dope word play including some laugh out loud moments (see his “Icy Hot while other rappers Bengay” line), Tito shows the kind of character that has me interested in his Lost Files of Tito Lopez: Reloaded mixtape, available now.
Update: Click “Listen Now” above to watch Tito’s “Mama Proud” video.
Written by JRTheWriter on 03/20/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Conversation With Tito" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.