Sade—the very name instantly evokes sensuality, exoticism and sophistication. On their latest video single (originally written as a birthday gift to Ms. Adu), EMI Records twosome Times Neue Roman channel that timeless ambiance with a hip-hop twist, vibing out to the inimitably smooth singer/songwriter as they roll along the T-Dot streets in their drop-top convertible. Sade Is in My Tape Deck (catch the Outkast reference?) finds crew member Alexander The hooking up with saxaphonist Dave Mergins and percussionist Ian Riddoch to craft a silky yet bass-bumping backdrop for the equally atmospheric bars of his mic-rocking colleague. In fact, emcee Arowbe‘s bars are so laid-back that it’s easy to miss his off-the-wall imagery and intricate rhyme schemes: “Cop it bigger; why you nickel-bag, ain’t get it proper? / Get the yellow wagon with the rims the size of Bilbo Baggins / Keep a Swiffer Sweeper underneath the swivel seats / Swisher Sweets…” While Times Neue Roman’s self-titled debut studio album currently lacks a drop date, those digging this breezy tribute jam can keep it locked to our pages for further details, as well as all the latest tunes.
Written by richard on 05/1/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Late Night Toronto" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.