Released to a disappointing critical and commercial reception back in 2009, Timbaland‘s Shock Value II represented a sizable step backwards from its “near-classic” predecessor, and 2010 online series Timbaland Thursdays, did little to rebuild his stature. So, what’s next for Timbo—a fresh start? A book deal? A long vacation? Nope; he’s doubling down with another Shock Value album. Newly-released lead single Pass at Me finds him—where else?—hanging at the local spot, spitting game to a shawty whose smooth moves never fail to turn him on. While the premise is club boilerplate, there’s no denying the record’s dancefloor appeal. Presumably assisted by heavyweight guest (and club mainstay) David Guetta, Timbo blends syncopated percussion, a thumping bassline and a classic “Ole, ole, ole…” chants into a compulsively body-moving backdrop for his reflections on the female form, as well as some bawdy, nursery rhyme-inspired bars from Pitbull (”Jack and Jill went up the hill, each with a buck and a quarter / Jill came back with $2.50, what a working girl…”). Is this the kind of material that’ll help Timbaland bounce back from his recent funk? You decide—and keep it locked all the latest details on the yet-unscheduled Shock Value III.
Written by richard on 09/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Love ft. T.I." (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.