Though Shock Value II, the sequel to Timbaland‘s blockbuster sophomore solo set, was met with mixed reviews and underwhelming sales when it hit store shelves back in 2010, the superproducer didn’t let its lukewarm reception discourage him. Instead, he got straight to work on the franchise’s third installment. Today, Timbo returns to give listeners (aside from the lucky few who got to hear the set previewed at Perez Hilton’s annual SXSW shindig) their first official taste of the project in the form of lead single Break Ya Back. As you’ve undoubtedly ascertained from the title, the record is an erotically-charged banger expressly designed to heat things up on the dancefloor. With his trademark booming bass and exotic samples bumping in the back, Tim engages in some flirtatious back-and-forth with Universal Republic singer Dev. While the lyrics aren’t Shakespeare (The headliner comes this close to opening a verse with “My name is Tim and I’m here to say…,” while his co-star uses a popular brand of ranch dressing as a euphemism for her genitals.) the collaborators’ chemistry, and the cut’s overall body-moving vibe, are on point. Or have I got it twisted? If you agree with my assessment, then keep it locked for further releases leading up to the yet unscheduled arrival of Shock Value III.
Written by richard on 03/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Love" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.