Aside from a random Rocko collab, T.I.’s new album has been shaping up to be pretty good. Actually, better than good. Last week we heard his Booth approved collaboration with Eminem, All She Wrote, and this time around Kanye West and Kid Cudi assist the King of the South on Welcome to the World. On the beat West and No I.D. set a dark atmosphere with a menacing bass line and unsettling piano loop a la Dr. Dre, but with that staccato placement Mr. Harris customarily spits over. His verse is full of stuttering flows and the cleverly worded threats that we’re used to hearing from him, while Kanye’s hook and verse address the shallow and naïve nature of the biz, and how many rappers fall victims to it. And there’s Cudi, who does his typical tenor chanting thing that I could frankly take or leave. Overall, this is the crack music ‘Ye spoke of on Late Registration, and maybe, just maybe we can get a classic out of Tip with the release of No Mercy on December 7. Hopefully, that will be motivation for him to really get his life together.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 11/24/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What You Know" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.