T.I. began the new year with a new television show, a new book, and more importantly a new mixtape. Since being released from prison last year, the self-proclaimed King has been no stranger to re-entering the spotlight. However, one question still remains - can he still make hits? On This Time of Night, one of the standout cuts from F*ck Up Da City, featuring fellow southern emcee Nelly, T.I. might have re-discovered his magic. I know, Nelly on a new T.I. mixtape? Don’t get ahead of yourself, though, as their collaborative sound may actually surprise you, with the two emcees mixing up a smooth southern sound with the help of producer Mars. Beginning with a soulful sounding guitar riff, the intro is reminiscent of old school UGK while Nelly supplies a catchy hook and a surprisingly solid third verse. This slower-paced record is one you can easily ride out to as Tip pulls the reigns back on his flow considerably, which we’ve heard before on the Jazze Pha-assisted Lets Get Away. So, do you think this commercial-appealing style lightning has what it takes to become an official single and give T.I. his first post-prison hit? Let us know by leaving a comments and rating below.
Written by JRTheWriter on 01/3/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What You Know" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “Chicago vs. Everybody?”
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.