Even though T.I. has (sadly) spent more time behind bars than he has promoting his new album, No Mercy has managed to sell more than 500,000 physical copies. Thus, instead of waiting until the emcee is released from prison in September, his team at Atlantic Records has decided to unleash the album’s most promising record. Written by Skylar Grey (see I Need A Doctor), Castle Walls combines heavy hi-hat snare and synthesizers from in vogue musical maestro Alex da Kid with a popppy, yet strong hook from Mrs. Christina Aguilera. Lyrically, T.I. evokes plenty of emotion, explaining how he has felt attacked and discussing everything from his beefs and his come up, to his legacy as an artist and a man. For those who choose to compare Walls to Eminem’s Love the Way You Lie, not so fast. The only true similarity between the records (besides the work of Alex and Grey) is their eventual standing at the top of the charts. So, will T.I.’s attempt at a crossover hit go as well as Em’s? That, DJBooth readers, if for you to decide.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 01/27/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What You Know" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.