Even though T.I. has (sadly) spent more time behind bars than he has promoting his new album, No Mercy has managed to sell more than 500,000 physical copies. Thus, instead of waiting until the emcee is released from prison in September, his team at Atlantic Records has decided to unleash the album’s most promising record. Written by Skylar Grey (see I Need A Doctor), Castle Walls combines heavy hi-hat snare and synthesizers from in vogue musical maestro Alex da Kid with a popppy, yet strong hook from Mrs. Christina Aguilera. Lyrically, T.I. evokes plenty of emotion, explaining how he has felt attacked and discussing everything from his beefs and his come up, to his legacy as an artist and a man. For those who choose to compare Walls to Eminem’s Love the Way You Lie, not so fast. The only true similarity between the records (besides the work of Alex and Grey) is their eventual standing at the top of the charts. So, will T.I.’s attempt at a crossover hit go as well as Em’s? That, DJBooth readers, if for you to decide.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 01/27/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What You Know" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.